Friday, February 20, 2009

Taste of Home: Tomato and Omelet Stir Fry


The food I make now in New York are mostly recipes I learned or created based on what I saw and tasted from different parts of the world. But nothing can compare to the taste from home.

I am lucky. My mum has this magic ability to satisfy people with her food and my brother used to be a pro chef. At home, we view food scholarly. Food unites us. I can't, however, afford the kind of cooking times they have in Beijing.

When I crave food from back home, I will have to go for the quick and easy ones. Here is one of them: Fried Tomato and Omelet.

HOW TO PREPARE:
* Break and fry a two-egg omelet till it is soft and yellow (make sure it is not over cooked);
* Separate them into 1x2" pieces while still in the wok; Set aside in a dish;
* Heat a table spoon of olive oil in the wok again and throw in some chopped spring onion for aroma;
* When the spring onion starts to sizzle, pour two large chopped (1x2" chunks) juicy tomatoes into the wok; Stir fry for about 1 min until every piece is fried;
* Add some salt and stir again; Salt will help the tomato juice to come out;
* Add about two table spoons of sugar (or to taste) until the tartness of the tomatoes disappears;
* Put omelet back in the wok, stir well, close the lid and cook on medium heat for about 3 mins; (If there is not enough juice to stew the tomatoes, add a little bit of water.)
* Stir once or twice during this time, Then it is ready to serve;

The dish should be served with a bit of sauce from cooking. The combination of savoury and slight sweet taste is alluring and the golden omelet softened in the tomato sauce is extremely smooth. In a weekday evening, after only less than 10 minute's preparation, the satisfaction is imminent.

No comments: