Monday, February 23, 2009

Polenta Pizza with Spinach Topping


I always wanted to introduce the Chinese pizza but Mark Bittman beat me to it. What I am showing you here is not on a restaurant menu. This however, indeed is a traditional dish from Beijing. My mum has been making these for us since I could remember. This Polenta 'pancake' actually convinces me that the Chinese must have invented pizza because it looks so similar to the Italian pizza. The only difference is that we cook it on a flat pan rather than in the oven.

HOW TO PREPARE:
*Pour water over finely ground corn grit (Polenta), stir to a runny liquid polenta mix;
*Heat a large flat non-stick pan, coat the entire pan with olive oil for about 20 seconds;
*Spread the mix in the pan to make a thin pizza base (3 table spoons for a 10 inch base);
*Add fresh spinach leaves all over the base, as much as you would like (then I added Chinese dried mini shrimps. You can also replace with bacon, sausage or pepperoni);
*Season the entire pizza with salt and pepper; Close lid for about 5 min;

If you are getting tired of the cheesy pizza, this is so worth trying. We made three different toppings - spinach, tofu and salmon, for one meal. I didn't have to table serve since the moment they were placed on the cutting boards for slicing, we started munching. They quickly disappeared.

Mark Bittman suggested the pancake as breakfast which I quite like. Sometimes I also bake a few more bases and store them in the fridge. In the mornings or even for an afternoon snack, I quickly toast them and add toppings of scrambled eggs, cheese or Nutella.

Even in the time limited mornings, you can microwave them. The softened base with either sweet or savoury toppings, are equally delicious.

No comments: